Blog header

Saturday, April 13, 2013

April Mom of the Month

Our mom of the month program honors moms for their efforts to lead healthy lifestyles, and gives us a chance to get to know them better at the same time!

April's featured Mom of the Month is Deena Fahy! Congrats, Deena!



Deena joined Stroller Strides last fall, and has really focused on her fitness in recent months, as one of our most frequent Stroller Strides attendees, and recently added both Running Mamas and Body Back to her workouts. She recently built up to running the full 3 mile distance with Running Mamas, and she's set to cross that official 5k finish line 4/27 at the Run for our Heroes.  We are glad to have her and Jacob as part of our great group of moms and kids.  Join us in congratulating Deena, and read on to get to know her better!

Hometown: Southfield & Farmington Hills, Michigan

Current part of the Triangle that you live in: Cary, NC

Education: BS in Education Major: Special Education / Minor: Child Development & Psychology

Stroller Strides Member since: October 2012

Members of your Family: My husband Mike, Jacob 2 years old and our lil rat terrier Cricket almost 14 years old

Tell us about your children: Jacob is almost 2 and a half and he cracks me up every day! He is snuggly, loving, kind, strong willed and is not shy to share his opinions. Not only is he my work out buddy but he is quite a challenging coach. He wants to make sure I'm doing all my exercises correctly. He is energetic and loves to be outside in nature! We spend a good deal of time stomping through bushes and leaves.

Current/previous Career: Currently a SAHM I prefer the title Domestic Engineer :)  /  Previously I worked for over 10 years as a special education teacher working primarily with children affected by Autism. I've also worked for the Autism Society of North Carolina for several years. After having Jacob I did spend some time tutoring and consulting however, due to my hubby's work I've not had the opportunity to be able to do that recently.

What was your childhood ambition? I wanted to be a vet because I loved animals. However, I soon learned I don't do well with blood or seriously injured critters. So that never came to be.

What does motherhood mean to you? Motherhood has been such an amazing adventure so far. He helps me learn so much. We are enjoying the ride!

What is the furthest you have been from home? Costa Rica

What has Stroller Strides done for you? I came to Stroller Strides because Jacob was having a horrible time in the gym daycare. He would cry so hard he would make himself throw up. Then I'd get called out of my work out. I knew I had to find something better. That's when we started Stroller Strides! Since starting I have been able to loose my last 10 pesky pounds. But most importantly I've found a support network. I love, love, love being a stay at home mom but sometimes it can be hard. I love the having the support and friendship. Stroller Strides has given me the opportunity to work out and keep my lil boy entertained and happy. He is also learning healthy habits including his favorite exercises Burpees and ABC sprints. Additionally we both get to socialize. We love the play dates and we are both building great friendships.

What has your experience with Running Mamas been like so far? I've tried to get into running for several years on my own and I've always ended up injured and quitting! So far I have completely exceeded my expectations! I am looking forward to running a full 5k without stopping and I really feel I can do this. There's no way I'd have been able to do this on my own! The coaching is great and the group runs are great and keep me motivated to do my homework runs all week.

What is your favorite exercise? Squats and Lunges

What is your proudest moment? Looking in the eyes of my little one the moment after birth and realizing that we created a human! Amazing!

What are three of your favorite things (besides your family!)? Love my Starbucks latte, live music and crafting

Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us or makes you unique.
 I have 199 undergraduate credit hours and I can hula hoop with fire.

If we asked your spouse what they think your best qualities are, what would they say? I had to ask him, he said, "compassionate, attention to detail and organized".

What advice would you give to moms looking to get back into shape?  I think you just have to get started and I think it's easier with a buddy or group. That's one of the reasons I love Stroller Strides. Getting out of shape didn't happen overnight and getting back in shape won't either. One day at a time and you can do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment