Blog header

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

March 2012 Mom of the Month

Our mom of the month program honors moms for their efforts to lead healthy lifestyles, and gives us a chance to get to know them better at the same time!

March's Mom of the Month is: Kimberly Stephenson! Congrats Kimberly!


Kimberly has been with us at Stroller Strides almost since the beginning, she joined the month after we opened in spring 2010, and has continued to fit in her Stroller Strides workouts among her part-time work as a Registered Dietician at UNC, as well as before and after the birth of her son, Grant, last year. Kimberly keeps smiling as she works hard at Stroller Strides as well as, most recently, in our evening "Body Back" program for moms (where she is known as "the cheerleader" for her determination and willingness to cheer her fellow moms on and keep everyone motivated!). She is an inspiration to all of us in terms of working hard, juggling motherhood and work and fitness, AND keeping up a great attitude. The story of her two miracle children is also an inspiration to all of the moms out there who struggle waiting for their children to arrive in their lives. Thank you for sharing Kimberly, as it may help moms out there who are dealing with similar challenges. And those who have been through them know just how important it is to value your time with your little ones and the amazing (albeit exhausting ;) ) experience of motherhood.

Join us in congratulating Kimberly, and read on to get to know her a little better!


Hometown: Boone, NC
Current part of the Triangle that you live in: Apex. The Peak of Good Living, so the water tower says.
Education: Masters in Nutrition
Stroller Strides Member since: April 2010
Members of your Family: Myself, husband Daniel whom I met at the Longbranch in Raleigh, daughter Scarlett Evelyn 3 years, and son Grant Everett 1 year.

Tell us about your child/children: Scarlett was placed with love into our arms through open domestic adoption at her birth. We remain in contact with her wonderful birthmother, whom we call Angel Anna because she brought us a gift from God.

We chose adoption after bearing the sadness and loss of 3 miscarriages. Everyone asks about IVF and we signed up a couple of times but never went through with it. God had other plans for creating our little family.

When Scarlett was one, we had the courage to try again and Grant came along. I was truly shocked when I didn't miscarry. Despite a back injury, gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, and meconium aspiration, he popped out just perfect. He is the second little miracle that came into my life. I love them both with every inch of my being.

Current/previous Career: Registered Dietitian in Pediatrics at UNC's Children's Hospital. I've been there 13 years; part-time after Scarlett came along. Currently, I work with children who have Cystic Fibrosis.

What was your childhood ambition? I wanted to be Ramona Quimby or Nancy Drew.
What does motherhood mean to you? Because it was so elusive to me for so long, I really treasure it. It's a gift from our Creator that makes you love greater than you've ever loved before. I say to my husband all the time, "look at those beautiful children."
What is the furthest you have been from home? Switzerland, as a chaperone for my (much) younger sister's High School Senior class trip.
What has Stroller Strides done for you? It's helped me maintain a regular exercise routine that involves the kids instead of excluding them.

What have you enjoyed most about the Body Back program? It's given me the accountability that I needed to focus on my health again. I know what to eat and how to exercise, but too often those get put on the back burner while caring for the children.
What is your favorite exercise? Dancing.
What is your proudest moment? My masters thesis research was published in the New England Journal of Medicine. It looked at the effect of weight loss in lactating women on the growth of their infants.

What are three of your favorite things (besides your family!)? Clogging, wakeboarding, and Topsail Beach.
Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us or makes you unique. I've clogged at the Grand Ole Opry and danced on CMT's (old) TV show "Club Dance".
If we asked your spouse what they think your best qualities are, what would they say? I would guess compassionate and organized.

But I asked him and he said my best quality was that I'm a good mom to our children. He also said I'm a kick-&@$ cook and Clogger.

What advice would you give to moms looking to get back into shape? Join Stroller Strides or Body Back, of course! Seriously, I do say that all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment