Blog header

Monday, January 31, 2011

February Mom of the Month



Our mom of the month program honors moms for their efforts to lead healthy lifestyles, and gives us a chance to get to know them better at the same time!



Our February Mom of the Month is: Lindsey Sohre! Congratulations Lindsey!

Lindsey was also our Holiday Get Fit Challenge winner. She participated in our 10 week Get Fit Challenge that encouraged participants to stay healthy and fit through the holidays. Competitors were assessed on their cardio performance (through a timed mile), strength (through planks and push-ups), and overall body composition, and we also tracked their weight and measurements. Lindsey more than doubled her plank time and her push-ups, increased her mile speed, lost 8% body fat, plus lost over 14 lbs and several inches during the 10 week Challenge! What an awesome accomplishment, and even more impressive during the holiday season.

Lindsey has been with Stroller Strides since November, and she and her daughter Emery have been wonderful to have in class. Lindsey has set a great example for other moms through her dedication and frequent Stroller Strides attendance, as well as really pushing herself during her workouts. Join us in wishing her the best, and check out her answers below to get to know Lindsey a little better!


Hometown: Midlothian, VA (just south of Richmond)

Current part of the Triangle that you live in: Fuquay Varina

Education: BS James Madison University, MBA James Madison University

Stroller Strides Member since: November 2010

Members of your Family: husband- Andreas, daughter- Emery 11 mos, dog- Fritz, horse- Pfinny

Tell us about your child: Emery is an energetic, fun, observant little girl. She loves to dance and throw her hands in the air- we call her a woo girl :). Her favorite pastime is people watching.

Current/previous Career: I started out as a business analyst in Washington, DC. However, when we moved to the Raleigh area for my husband’s job I fell into my dream job. I ran/managed Pepperwood Farm, a 52 stall equestrian boarding, breeding, and sales facility. I could walk to work, bring my dog and work with horses and people who love horses! Since I had Emery I have scaled back my responsibilities at the farm and now just manage the office.

What was your childhood ambition? To have my own horse farm.

What does motherhood mean to you? Extra laughs, smiles, hugs and kisses every day. My mom told me she had never seen me laugh as much as I do with Emery.

What is the furthest you have been from home? Germany (my husband’s parents live in Munich)

What has Stroller Strides done for you? Connected me with other moms and babies in the area. It is nice that Emery gets to see other children and I get to workout at the same time. SS has helped me make and reach some fitness goals, lose weight, and tone my body. I had reached my pre-baby weight before starting with SS. I am now smaller than I was before I had Emery!

What is your favorite exercise? Riding and working on the farm but I am learning to enjoy jogging

What is your proudest moment? Giving birth to Emery.

What are three of your favorite things (besides your family!)? horses/ riding (jumping and dressage), reading, German language and cooking

Tell us something about yourself that would surprise us or makes you unique. I can drive a tractor and a Bob Cat Skid Steer (even while I was pregnant!- although the lap belt was a little snug!)

If we asked your spouse what they think your best qualities are, what would they say? I asked my husband and copied his whole answer because it made me chuckle : ) “Lindsey's best qualities are: She is very caring, loves animals and is very beautiful. She is very dedicated, determined and enduring in things she cares about. She also actively does things rather than talk about them endlessly without action. She has a good sense of humor, and more importantly, appreciates mine!!! She is very eager to learn and open-minded. Notice how I didn't mention patient...”

What advice would you give to other moms who are struggling to get active and back into shape? Get into a routine. Join Stroller Strides! It is nice to have someone else tell you what your workout is for the day and to know that you have to make class at a specific time. Also, pick something to work towards. I find it easier to stay motivated with a goal.


(Get Fit Challenge Award day)

2 comments:

  1. I love that you call emery a Woo Girl, I assume you watch How I met your Mother and the woo girls!!! Congrats Lindsey, well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your such an awesome example Lindsey!Keep up the good work, being with you in class in really motivating!

    ReplyDelete